I’ve been using skmmenu for quite a while now, and I think it’s great! But last Friday I was fooling around in Visual Studio, trying to make some fun stuff in ASP.Net, when I got a strange error about a reference. The information part:

 === Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = skmmenu
 (Partial)
LOG: Appbase = file:///c:/inetpub/wwwroot/Site
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = bin
Calling assembly : (Unknown).
===


LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom, partial, or location-based assembly bind).
LOG: Post-policy reference: skmmenu
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET Files/site/5dd0cccf/c5f19367/skmmenu.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET Files/site/5dd0cccf/c5f19367/skmmenu/skmmenu.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///c:/inetpub/wwwroot/Site/bin/skmmenu.DLL.
LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom, partial, or location-based assembly bind).
LOG: Post-policy reference: skmMenu, Version=2.2.1882.16908, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null


I tried a lot of things: iisreset, rebooting the machine, throwing away controls from pages, but to no avail. When I tried to clear my Temporary ASP.NET Files, all the directories seamed to be willing to be deleted, except for the one I was having trouble with. Even after a reboot and closing down IIS it was not removable. Explorer kept saying it couldn’t read from the source… Finally, I ran a diskcheck on my hard drive, and it looked like that solved my problem! I’m guessing it had bad sectors.

I don’t want to go so far as to say Visual Studio or the .Net framework mashed up my hard drive: that seems a bit much ;) But: when receiving errors you can’t trace to (your) software, you should consider the source of the error may be somewhere in the hardware…